This is one of the delicious recipes I mentioned is my favorite in the Tulsa World.
Notes: You can pulse the onions, celery, and carrots to 1/8-inch pebbles in a food processor. Keep the onions separate
In Step 4: Save time by asking your butcher to truss the meat
2 large cloves of garlic, very finely chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary (leaves only), very finely chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups very finely chopped celery (about 1/2 pound)
1 cup very finely chopped carrots (about 6 ounces)
2 cups very finely chopped red onions (about 1 pound)
3 pound rump roast
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 14 1/2-ounce can pureed Italian plum tomatoes (if available, by a can of whole plum tomatoes and puree them)
4 thin slices lemon peal (use a potato peeler)
1 1/2 cups Chianti Classico
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place garlic and rosemary in a small bowl and stir in 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside
3. Pour 1/2 cup olive oil into a large skillet and add celery and carrots. Turn heat to medium-high, and sautée for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add onions, and sautée for another 10 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally. Turn off heat, and set skillet aside.
4. Truss the rump roast tightly with string to keep its shape. With a sharp knife make 4 cross shaped incisions at even intervals along one side of the rump roast, beginning about an inch from either end. Stick a finger into each incision to dig a hole. Fill each hole with a quarter of the rosemary/garlic mixture.
5. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in Dutch oven. When oil is hot, place rump roast in pot and brown 5 minutes on each side (though it’s round, consider it to have four sides). Do the first side on high heat, then reduce to medium.
6. Remove the roast to a plate. Transfer the sautéed vegetables, pureed tomatoes, lemon peal, Chianti, water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt to the Dutch oven, and stir well. Return the pot roast to the Dutch oven. Cover. and bake for 1 1/2 hours.