Elizabeth’s Mother’s Day Nicoise Salad w/ Dijon Viniagrette
Elizabeth’s Mother’s Day Nicoise Salad
- 4 6-ounce tuna steaks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dozen small purple or new potatoes
- 1/3 pound green beans (or thin haricots verts), ends trimmed
- Mixed Greens (Julia Child says butter lettuce, but I saw mixed greens at the farmer’s market)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved *see note
- ½ cup Niçoise olives
- 4 organic, large eggs, hard-boiled and cut into wedges
- Dijon Vinaigrette
1. Preheat grill or grill-pan over medium-high heat. Rub tuna steaks with the olive oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and grill until cooked to your liking (some people like a mere sear on the outside, but feel free to cook it all the way through). Let the tuna cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into ½-inch thick slices. Or, put it in the fridge and serve it cold the next afternoon!)
2. Meanwhile, steam the potatoes for 20 minutes (or until cooked through) and the green beans for 7 minutes and let them cool. Cut the potatoes in half.
3. Arrange the lettuce on a big platter (or 2 small plastic containers if you forgot a plate). Lay the green beans, tomatoes and olives over the lettuce. Arrange the potatoes and eggs around the edge. Lay the slices of tuna on top. Drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- 2 parts olive oil
- 1 part lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Add a description in your user options. To add your photo visit Gravatar.com and sign up. It works on lots of other sites too!